A Key West vacation can be hot, sunny, beautiful, fun; and also at times expensive, humid and wet.
This blog is all about helping you decide if Key West is right for you and hints and recommendations about how to make the most of your visit.
Let's dive right in with the bad and the good about Key West. The not so good first.
- Key West is expensive - the hotels and B&Bs, especially in peak season (i.e. the season you'll want to come here) charge a small fortune. There are only a few good cheap accommodation options
- Key West is small, really small
- Key West in off peak (August to November) is uncomfortably humid
- There are only 2 beaches on the island and only 1 is good
- Key West is not that geared up for kids
Upsides of a Key West vacation
- Key West is easy to get around - you can walk everywhere which is relaxing
- The weather is usually great, especially December to April
- It's quite a friendly town
- Really set up for party/fun vacations - dozens of good bars and restaurants
- The flowers, trees and historic houses make Key West beautiful
- It's quaint, tropical, interesting
- Key West is crazy and eccentric
- Hot but not too hot (heat is never a problem, it does get very humid between August and November)
- Pretty - Key West style houses, tree laden streets, flowers, plants, lush tropical
- There are some great hotels but many of the B&Bs / guesthouses are even better (as they are original historic homes built in the 1800s so you are living like a local in a cool looking property)
- Mostly friendly people
- It's a walking, not driving, town
- Can be busy in peak time, but walk a few streets away from Duval Street and it's quiet and peaceful
- Great selection of bars covering all tastes
- Great selection of restaurants covering all tastes
- 80% of bars and restaurants within walking distance of most hotels and B&Bs - meaning you don't have to drive and so you can relax (and drink a lot!)
- Some world famous stuff like Sloppy Joe's, the Hemingway House, Blue Heaven restaurant
- Historic - Key West has a long and fascinating history to discover (e.g. Key West museum, lighthouse, Audubon House)
THINGS YOU GOTTA DO ON A KEY WEST VACATION
click below to read more....